5 Things You Need To Know Today: Oct. 24
Last day to register for Pumpkins in the Park, Sen. Scott Brown in Framingham today, candidates from 7th Middlesex District in forum, yoga & parenting workshop and super heroes capture the main Framingham Library all featured in today's column.
Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Today is the last day to register for Framingham Parks & Recreations Pumpkins in the Park. The annual event takes place Saturday at Cushing Memorial Park Oct 27 from 1 to 3 p.m. Cost is $5 per child. The event is for kids ages 3-12. The rain or shine event features hayrides, costume parade, pumpkin decorating and more. To register visit the Parks & Recreation office.
2. Tonight is likely your only chance to see the candidates for the 7th Middlesex District seat in the House of Representatives talk about issues in the same room, as the two could not agree to any debates before the Nov. 6 election. Rep. Tom Sannicandro (D-Ashland) and former chair of the Ashland Board of Selectmen Jon Fetherston, a Republican will meet tonight in a community forum sponsored by the Framingham Coalition at 6:30 p.m. at Wilson Elementary School. Audience members will have the chance to ask the candidates questions. The winner would represent Ashland and 6 of Framingham's 18 precincts (8, 13, 14, 16, 17 and 18) in the State House. The Framingham Coalition calls itself a community organization that works to reduce alcohol, drug abuse and other social problems.
3. Sen. Scott Brown will be in Framingham today for a rally with supporters. The senator is running for re-election and is being challenged by Democrat Elizabeth Warren. The event takes place at 1 p.m. at Ken's Steak House.
4. MetroWest Mothers and More is hosting a discussion on positive parenting tonight at 7:15 at Whitney Place, 3 Vision Dr. in Natick. Elizabeth Goranson will share long-term research as well as techniques that demonstrate yoga's ability to improve you and your child's mind-body awareness during the workshop. She is the founder and CEO of Stretch What Matters.
5. And super heroes take over the main Framingham Library this week. Tonight Dana Perkins, author of The Mighty Thor Saga (published by Marvel Comics) and Framingham Public Library children’s staff member will present Super Heroes as Modern Mythology at 7 at the main Framingham Library. "Hercules. Apollo. Zeus. These figures from mythology share a lot in common with comic and movie superstar attractions like Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Superman!" The event will discuss the pop culture phenomenon known as “Super Heroes," from their not-so humble beginnings in the Golden Age of comics, the rise of Marvel in the Sixties, to their current incarnations today, with a special emphasis on The Mighty Thor and The Avengers!
Saturday, the main library will hold a free screening of the movie The Avengers.