5 Things You Need To Know Today: Sept. 9
Wheeler Cup, Temple Beth Am Brotherhood breakfast, free admission at Danforth and Blessing of the Pets service all featured in today's column.
Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Temple Beth Am Brotherhood will have its first monthly breakfast of the season today at 9 a.m. Guest speaker is Dan Lebowitz, a Natick resident, who is the Executive Director of Northeastern University's Sport in Society Center. He will speak on the role of sports in society, touching upon the Penn State scandal, as well as the recent scandal involving the Boston University hockey team and their sense of entitlement. Admission $12.
2. Admission is free to the Danforth Museum of Art. Thanks to corporate support from Mutual One Bank, the museum is hosting its fall family day and open house from 1 to 4 p.m. Besides free admission, tours are free, too. Thre also will be try-it classes and art activities for all age levels. Adults can attend a try-it portrait class taught by Ron Krouk and families with children will enjoy art activities watercolor and collage activities with Jill Curtis and Ellie Bento. Artists Katherine Miller, Catherine Carter, and Carol Blackwell will give watercolor and collage demonstrations and instructor Sarah Tomkins will lead drawing activities in Museum galleries.
3. Edwards Church is holding a Blessing of the Animals Service at 10 a.m. Weather permitting it will be outside. If rain, inside in Edwards Hall. Attendees are asked to bring their animal companions (or a picture if that's more realistic). Attendees may also bring photographs of animals who have died. There will be music from the bluegrass-folk group "On the Fence" and opportunity for children to participate. Following the service, stay for "picnic with our pets," featuring -hot dogs, tofu pups, animal crackers, and of course treats for the pets.
4. Congrats to the Framingham Flyers boys soccer team, who defeated Natick 3-1 Saturday night in the 17th Annual Wheeler Cup game. Bryant Nardizzi scored the game winner. The girls lost to Natick.
Want to get coverage of your favorite sports team featured on Framingham patch? Click on this link, to find out how.
5. Looking for a new home? Check out the open houses today. Framingham Patch highlighted a few here.