UPDATE: The store has re-opened.
Shoppers were evacuated from Target on Cochituate Road Thursday evening just before 7, after an employee smelled gas in the store's back room.
Gas leaked from a small heater installed in the ceiling of the store, an observer of the incident, who preferred to stay anonymous, said.
Intial scanner report had an employee striking a gas main in rear mechanic room, with an active leak.
Liz Hopkinson was shopping in the store when an evacuation was suddenly ordered.
"I'm not sure what happened, all of a sudden they came over the loudspeaker and said we needed to leave," Hopkinson said.
"The heater was turned off, which stopped the leak right away," the anonymous source said. He could not confirm the cause of the leak.