Overall, there were 101 applicants seeking licenses to open marijuana dispensaries for medical use in the Commonwealth. Worcester topped the list with nine applicants, followed by Boston with six and Framingham and Lowell each with five.
Seventeen of the 100 listed Middlesex County as their first choice for operation, with five companies indicating Framingham was their first choice.
- Prime Wellness, under applicant John Glowik Jr., would like to open a dispensary at 665 Cochituate Rd.
- 1 Relief, Inc., under applicant David S. Safaii, would like to open a dispensary at 665 Cochituate Rd.
- Mass Relief, under applicant Steven Hurd, would like to open a dispensary at 665 Cochituate Rd.
- Patient Alliance Wellness Center, under applicant Irina Salgan, would like to open a dispensary location at 271 Worcester Rd. (Route 9).
- Mass Compassionate Patient Care Corp., under applicant James Thomas, would like to open a dispensary location at 1164 Worcester Rd. (Route 9).
Framingham Town Manager Bob Halpin said two applicants want to open a cultivation center in Framingham, proposed to be located at 95 Eames Rd. Those appliants were Mass Compassionate Patient Care Corp. and Patient Alliance Wellness Center, Inc.
At a Special Town Meeting in October, Framingham resident Doug Kinz said he had signed letters of intent with four applicants who wanted to operate a cultivation center in his family’s commercial building on Eames Road, the former Comfort Air Systems warehouse.
The State's Public Health Department anticipates announcing the successful applicants on Jan. 31. A selection committee will evaluate the applications based on appropriateness of the site, geographical distribution of dispensaries, local support, and the applicant's ability to meet the overall health needs of registered patients while ensuring public safety.
During the first phase, 181 applications were received, of which 158 were invited to submit an application for Phase 2 and 101 did.
A voter-approved state law that took effect on Jan. 1 allows for up to 35 dispensaries in the Commonwealth, with at least one and no more than five in any one county.
Framingham Town Meeting twice rejected establishing marijuana dispensary and cultivation zones in town.