UPDATED 3:01 p.m. Tonight concert will be indoors at Eagles Hall. Music starts at 6:30 p.m. We won't have the Patch tent, but hope to see a lot of you at the final concert of the summer.
Also please bring socks tonight!
The Framingham Veterans Agent in conjunction with the Massachusetts Association of Public Health Nurses have teamed up in an effort to collect white tube or athletic socks for homeless and at risk veterans. These socks are handed out directly to homeless veterans at OPERATION STAND DOWN held annually in Boston. When you come to listen to Broadsword play Rock & Roll, please bring a donation of new white socks with you. If you can't make the concert Socks are also being collected in the Veterans Service and Public health offices in the Memorial Building through Aug. 17.
Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Tonight is the of the season. Taking the stage will be BroadSword, a rock n' roll band that includes Chair Michael Hugo. Music begins at 6:30 p.m. at the . The band has more than two dozen original songs, but also plays
Johnny Cash and Pink Floyd in the same set.
Attached to this column is a couple of video clips from BroadSword.
NOTE: In the case of bad weather, tonight's concert will not be cancelled but moved to Fraternal Order of Eagles Hall, where Eagles All-American Grill is.
Thanks to all the sponsors of the concert series. Premiere sponsors included: Adesa, Bernardi Auto Group, Bose, Framingham Co-operative Bank, Framingham Patch, Impact Framingham, MetroWest Medical Center, NMTW Community Credit Union, TD Bank and Staples. Other sponsors included: Fitts Insurance, Kugel’s Deli, Mary Ann Morse Heritage, TJX, Office Depot, Metrowest Coffee News and Perini.
2. The and the will only be open today from 9 a.m. to noon. There will be a The main Library will be open Saturday from 9 a.m. 1 p.m. and closed on Sunday. The branch is closed on the weekends.
3. Tell us what you best purchase was in the comments.
4. will take the stage tonight at performing the greatest hits of Steely Dan. The band will play the Katy Lied album in entirety at this upcoming show, as well as the usual glorious cavalcade of Steely Dan hits and deep cuts. Show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets $20.
5. On Day 13 at the 2012 London Olympic games, it was a Golden hat trick for the U.S. Women's soccer team as defeated Japan 2-1 in the finals. It was a repeat of the World Cup finals last year but with a different result.
The men's 4X400 team made to the finals on a very inspirational leg by Manteo Mitchell who ran the last 200 meters of his lap of the relay on a broken leg. The 25 year old ran the 400 in 46.1 seconds.
Today, Aug. 10 in London, the U.S. mens' basketball team will battle Argentina in a semifinal game.
NBC will also replay tonight the finals of the 4X400 relay. Team USA is in the finals as is South Africa Oscar Pistorius.