Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. A reconstruction project will close Prospect Street to everyone, but residents and emergency vehicles. Framingham Department of Public Works says the project involves improvements to the storm drain system, the removal of the road surface to a gravel base and installation of the asphalt base and top courses. Sidewalks and curbing will also be removed and replaced. Travelers are asked to seek alternate routes or follow the posted detour for Prospect Street. Worcester Road (Route 9) businesses will be accessible from Worcester Road and the intersecting driveways on Prospect Street. The roadway will be open to residential and emergency vehicle access only until the anticipated completion of the roadway base course in late August. Prospect Street Active Work Zone Map
2. The Lunch Lady is coming to the at 3. will discuss how he got started writing and drawing. After his presentation, he will sign books. Books may also be purchased at the free event.
3. The and the Framingham Democratic Committee wil co-host a debate tonight at 7 between the four Democratic candidates for the Governor's Council in the second district – Brian Clinton, Robert Jubinville, , and Bart Timilty.
4. The will host a at 5:30 p.m. Admission $10 BNI Alliance Members
and $20 Not-Yet-Members
5. On Day 11 at the 2012 London Olympic games, and on the final day of gymnastics Needham's Aly Raisman earned gold on the floor exercises and in a tie-breaker got the bronze on the balance beam. She is the first Ameican to ever win a gold medal on floor exercise.
Americans Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings defeated a Chinese duo to make it an All-American beach volleyball final. The defending gold medalist will compete against April Ross and Jennifer Kessey. The finals are today, August 8, but NBC will air the match tape-delayed tonight.
And for the second day in a row, the United States defeated Canada. This time it was women's basketball team defeating our northern neighbors 91-48 to advance to the semifinals.
Today, Aug. 8 in London, besides the beach volleyball All-America final, the men's volleyball team will have a match today against Italy.
The U.S. men's basketball team will play the Australian team. And Usain Bolt returns to the track in the 200m semifinals.