Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. The parents of Josephine Grace Gay, 7, who was one of the 20 students killed at Sandy Hook Elementary are asking individuals to wear purple today in honor of their daughter. The family recently established a fund in her name with the Framingham-based Doug Flutie Jr. Autism Foundation.
2. Framingham Patch blogger Ingrid Peschke writes about what is under her Christmas tree. Give it a read here.
3. Santa Claus is Coming to Town ... to skate at Loring Arena Monday, Dec. 24. The Framingham High Hockey Team is inviting families to come to the arena between 11 a.m. 2 p.m. to skate with Santa. $5 per skater and $20 per family. Admission includes a slice of pizza, beverage and a baked treat.
4. The main Framingham Library is holding a 2-session Make-a-Myth Creative Writing Workshop for students grades 6-7-8. Pre-registration is required for the free sessions on Jan 5 and Jan. 12 from 1 to 3 p.m. Students will create their own mythological character. In session 1, they will craft and decorate a special journal and outline your character, and then complete and perform their poem, essay, skit, or song in session 2. To register email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-532-5570 x4335.
5. School is out until at least Jan. 2. So if you need ideas of what do with the kids, click here.