Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. There is school in Framingham today. There are many sidewalks still not plowed and several bus stops not dug out, and with snowbanks feet high, drivers please be aware of children and others walking to school and waiting for the buses. Drive carefully.
2. Thursday at 6:30 p.m. on the steps of the Memorial Building, Concerned Citizens for Continued Cleanup will hold a rally to educate Framingham residents about the risks of asphalt grinding on the air, water, soil and children’s health.
A Planning Board meeting is scheduled to discuss a land disturbance permit for a Framingham asphalt grinding operation at 7:45 p.m. in the Ablondi room inside the Memorial Building on Thursday, Feb. 14.
3. Today is Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday). Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent.
What did Catholics in town think of the surprising news by the Pope yesterday. If you didn't hear, he announced he would resign - the first pope to do so in more than 600 years -- at the end of the month. The Pope said he was "too tired" to continue his role.
4. Framingham Selectmen are scheduled to meet tonight in the Memorial Building at 7.
5. A big thanks to everyone who liked our Facebook page! Monday, the Framingham Patch Facebook page hit the 2,000 fan mark.
We appreciate the support as we are just a little over 2 years old. We launched Framingham Patch on Dec. 1, 2010. We are 2,036 fans and counting as of today.
Editor's Note: Updated the Planning Board hearing date from Tuesday to Thursday.