Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Did you catch Framingham mom Tracy Moutafis' back-to-school dance video? ABC News and Good Afternoon America did; and replayed the video from Framingham Patch Friday afternoon on its national show.
2. Gov. Deval L. Patrick has ordered that the United States flag and the Commonwealth flag be lowered to half-staff at all state buildings from sunrise until sunset today, Sept. 1 in honor of U.S. Army PFC Michael R. Demarsico II of North Adams who was killed in action in Afghanistan on August 16, 2012.
3. Don't forget to stay in touch with Framingham news via our newsletter, Facebook page and Twitter this holiday weekend. We now have more than 1,500 fans on Facebook and more than 750 followers on Twitter.
4. Today is the deadline to get discounted tickets to the MetroWest Women’s Alliance Thursday Sept. 27, 2012 at the The gala will highlight the MetroWest Women’s Alliance and its 2012 contributions to women and girls in the MetroWest area. The event’s keynote speaker is author Laura Schroff. The MetroWest Women’s Alliance is an initiative of the and the . Proceeds from the event will benefit women and girls in the MetroWest area. Tickets through today are $65, after Sept. 1. they are $75. To order tickets go to uwotc.org/rubyslippers
5. Bill Staines will take the stage at tonight. Singing mostly his own songs, he has become one of the most popular singers
on the folk music circuit. Tickets are $16, $15 students and seniors, $13 members and $8 for children under age 8.