Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. After a , the tonight, Aug. 7 between dusk and 11:30.
2. Framingham Selectmen and the will hold a closed door meeting tonight at 6 to discuss the possibility of suing . At 7 p.m., the Board of Health will hold a meeting open to the public in the Memorial Building.
3. The town's three beaches are open today from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The beaches, run by the Parks and Recreation Department, are and . A beach pass is needed or you can pay the daily rate $3 for residents and $6 for non-residents.
4. Tonight is 29th Annual National Night Out.
5. On Day 10 at the 2012 London Olympic games, the U.S. women's soccer team defeated Canada in overtime 4-3 to win a spot in the gold medal game against Japan on Thursday.
While the men were shut out of medals for the first time U.S. history, two women clinch Olympic medals in boxing.
Today, Aug. 7 in London, today is the final day for women's gymnastics. Starting at 9:30 a.m. London time, Needham's Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas will compete in the women's balance beam finals. Raisman and Jordyn Wieber will compete in the women's floor exercise final about 11:20 a.m.
In beach volleyball Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings will take on the Chinese.
In women's water polo, team USA will battle Australia in the semifinals. The winner will play for the gold medal. And in women's volleyball, it is a quarterfinal match up for team USA against the Dominican Republic. And Team USAwomen's basketball has a meeting on the court with Team Canada.