Our daily column, 5 Things You Need to Know Today, will help you to get your day started and offer you some fodder for water cooler conversation.
1. Today is Ash Wednesday. It is the start of Lent for Christians. Some faithful receive a cross of ashes on their forehead as a sign of their faith. Also on Ash Wednesday, as well as Fridays during lent, Catholics abstain from eating meat (unless St. Patrick's Day falls on a Friday).
Lent ends with Easter, which is early this year on Sunday, March 31.
St. Bridget Church will hold Ash Wednesday Masses at 9 a.m. and 12;15 p.m and a ceremony only at 7 p.m.
St. George will hold Masses at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. with a prayer and distribution of ashes at 4 p.m.
St. Stephen's will hold Masses with ashes at 8 a.m. and 12:10 p.m. in English and a mass in Spanish with ashes at 7 p.m.
2. First Parish in Framingham will hold a Wellspring Wednesday. This event is billed as atime to "engage in community and explore our values." Cost $7. Event includes a hot meal and program options: "Exploring Spiritual Practices" Film and Discussion "The Beasts of the Southern Wild", or sing with the choir. All activities take place in the Parish House, except choir practice, which is held in the Meeting House.
3. Framingham State University will host award-winning photographer and
documentarian Dan Habib today.
Habib will screen each film, followed by a discussion:
- Including Samuel, 4 p.m.
- Who Cares About Kelsey?, 7 p.m.
The screenings and discussions are free and open to the public. They will take
place in the McCarthy Center Forum on the campus of the University. This event is wheelchair accessible.
4. Tonight, is senior night for the Framingham High School boys hockey team at Loring Arena. The Flyers will take on Wellesley at 7 p.m. Go Aaron, Eric, Andrew & Casey!
5. There is a free Capoeira class at Cais da Bahia, 82 Concord St.