Sahr Josiah Found Guilty of Shooting Framingham Police Officer

Sahr Josiah, 24, of Framingham was found guilt of armed robbery, assault with intent to murder, and other charges today in Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn; he will be sentenced on Feb. 28.

Press release provided by the Middlesex District Attorney's Office:

WOBURN – A Framingham man has been found guilty on charges in connection with an armed robbery and the subsequent pursuit by law enforcement in which he shot at three officers, seriously injuring one, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone said.

Sahr Josiah, 24, of Framingham, was found guilty today by a Middlesex Superior Court Jury on charges of armed robbery, armed assault with intent to murder, armed assault with intent to rob a person 60 or over, possession of firearm as an armed career criminal, assault and battery dangerous weapon, and two counts of assault with dangerous weapon.  

Middlesex Superior Court Judge Diane Kottmyer will sentence him on Feb. 28.

“This defendant has now been convicted of strategically planning and carrying out an armed robbery of a taxi driver and, in an attempt to elude police, he shot at three different police officers, resulting in one officer sustaining serious injuries,” Leone said.  “This defendant continued to flee without any concern or remorse for the injured officer or for the safety of the general public. I commend the jury for their just verdict today, ensuring that this defendant is held responsible. Additionally, I want to commend the great, collaborative work of the and the , as well as Natick, Holliston, and Sherborn Police Departments for their help in the initial search for the defendant.”

According to authorities, on April 14, 2009, at approximately 10:31 p.m., Framingham Police responded to a reported armed robbery of a taxi driver at 15 Alexander St. in Framingham. As officers confronted the defendant on Beaver Street, he fled. As he was pursued by police, he opened fire, striking and injuring Officer Phillip Hurton, a five-year veteran. He subsequently aimed and shot at two additional officers, luckily missing them. Hurton suffered gunshot wounds to the wrist and face and was taken by medical helicopter with serious injuries to Massachusetts General Hospital where he received medical treatment.

After an extensive search of the area by Framingham, Natick, Ashland, Holliston, and Sherborn Police Departments, as well as Massachusetts State Police, the defendant was arrested in the area of Beaver Street and Route 135 in Framingham. 

Two additional co-defendants were also charged in connection with the armed robbery. Kenneth Lacey, 23, of Mattapan, and Emanuel Aguilar, 21, of Framingham, were both arrested on April 15, 2009 in Framingham. It is alleged that Lacey used Aguilar’s cell phone to call the taxi company and requested to be picked up with the intention of robbing the driver.  It is further alleged that Aguilar stood watch while Josiah and Lacey robbed the driver at gunpoint, taking the driver’s money and his cell phone so he would not be able to call the police. 

Lacey and Aguilar were indicted on May 28, 2009 on charges of armed robbery, armed assault with intent to rob person 60 or over, and possession of a firearm. Lacey pleaded guilty on Aug. 27, 2010 to charges of armed robbery and possession of a firearm. Middlesex Superior Court Judge Thomas Billings sentenced him to two and a half years to three years in state prison followed by one year probation from and after.

Josiah was arraigned on April 15, 2009 in where Judge Paul Healy ordered the defendant held pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for April 17, 2009.  At his dangerousness hearing, the defendant was ordered held without bail. He was indicted by a Middlesex County grand jury on May 28, 2009 and arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn on June 11, 2009 where Clerk Magistrate Michael Sullivan ordered him held on $1 million cash bail.

This case was investigated by the Framingham Police, State Police Detectives from the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office, State Police Crime Scene Services, State Police Troopers, K-9 and Air Wing, Transit Police, as well as Ashland, Holliston, Sherborn, and Natick Police departments. 

The prosecutors assigned to the case were Assistant District Attorney Joe Gentile and Jennifer Snook. 

Jim Rizoli February 03, 2012 at 08:52 PM
It sure seemed like this was an open and shut case. Jim@ccfiile.com
Susin Carlson February 03, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Good job all!! Now let's hope the sentence fits the crime....
Teddy Lunquist February 03, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Too bad it took 3 years to open and shut. But at least they got it right!
Jim Rizoli February 03, 2012 at 09:14 PM
I get a kick when articles/people say someone is a "resident" of a town..... Did he just stroll in or was he here for a while... Seems to me people who commit these type of crimes are not longtime residents. Do you see how this gives the town a black eye? Gee...I'm defending this town...what has come over me. Jim@ccfiile.com


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »