Framingham History Center: Edgell Memorial Library
Built in 1872 to commemorate the service of Civil War soldiers, Edgell Memorial Library was the town's first free-standing public library.
In 1963, the Framingham Historical Society and local citizens were able to save the building from demolition. Currently, the library is under the ownership of the Framingham History Center and is used for rotating exhibitions, programming and a permanent civil war collection. It also houses a museum shop and offices.
Edgell Memorial Library is open while undergoing critical repair. The FHC is currently working to fund completion of a full window restoration project.
- Hours: During restoration, the library is only open by appointment or for scheduled events. Call or see the website for details.
- Handicap Accessible: There is a ramped entrance and handicapped parking.
- Founding Date: 1872
- Parking: On-street: free
- Wi-Fi: None
- Gift shop: Yes
- Membership levels: Corporate, Family, Individual