The Framingham Historical Center (formerly the Framingham Historical Society) is a nonprofit organization that preserves the history of Framingham through exhibitions, tours, lectures and events. It maintains three historical buildings: Edgell Memorial Library, Village Hall and the Old Academy.
The Framingham History Center is located inside the Old Academy Building, at 16 Vernon Street. Residents can visit the center to learn about Framingham's past, conduct research and view historical artifacts.
On all three floors of the Old Academy building is the society's permanent exhibition, called "The Framingham Timeline."
The exhibit highlight the history of Framingham from 1700 to now. Included in the exhibit is a Revolutionary War cannon, a Daniel Chester French bust of the Civil War's General George H. Gordon and a NASA space suit worn by Framingham's Christa McAuliffe.
- Hours: Wed - Sat, noon - 4pm; Sun - Tue, closed
- Ticket information: Free for members; $5 suggested donation from nonmembers for Framingham History Center
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Scope: Local
- What is an interesting historical or little known fact about this town?: In 1693, Deputy Governor of Massachusetts Bay Thomas Danforth, after leaving office, allowed an accused Salem witch, her husband and children to live on his land in Framingham; that area became known as "Salem End."
- Membership levels: Corporate, Family, Individual