Town of Framingham: Cushing Memorial Park and Cushing Memorial Chapel (and 9/11 Memorial)
Maintained by the Framingham Parks & Recreation Department, Cushing Memorial Park sits on the former site of a hospital for troops injured in World War II.
Originally named Tercentennial Park, the Park was renamed in 2007 after the hospital, which had been named for Dr. Harvey Cushing, a famed neurosurgeon. Parks and Recreation Department employee Linda Libby successfully petitioned to rename the park.
The park hosted Framingham High graduation ceremonies in 2010, as Bowditch was under construction.
It is a popular park for walking or cycling. Helmets are required for all children under age 16. There are several picnic tables and the park is used often for family gatherings.
Located on the grounds of the Park is Cushing Memorial Chapel. Dedicated in 1943, the chapel is one of the few buildings that remain of the former Cushing General Hospital Complex.
The town hosts special services at the chapel on Veteran's Day.
The chapel is available for rental for private services, ceremonies and weddings. The Framingham Garden Club has planted several trees around the Memorial Chapel.
Also on the grounds of Cushing Park is the September 11th Living Memorial to the 17 individuals with ties to Framingham who died on Sept. 11, 2001.
Dogs are permitted but must be on leash at all times.
Residents may adopt a birdhouse at the park.
The Framingham Parks and Recreation Department is on Phase 3 of the Master Plan of the Park. Currently, there is construction on the Winter Street side.
- Hours: Dawn to dusk
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Parking: Free lot
- Are there any interesting facts about this location?: Also on the property of Cushing Memorial Park is planted a Green Ash that was seeded from the Texas boyhood home of former President of the United States General Dwight Eisenhower. This living memorial was dedicated in June of 2002.
- Features: Benches, Picnic tables, Playgrounds
- Permit requirements: Park permit required for groups; permit required to rent chapel.
- Restrictions: No alcohol, No fires, No smoking
- Features: Jungle gym, See-saw, Slides, Swings
- Facilities (playgrounds): Benches, Tables